Once you have a deck, porch, or patio installed on your home, the fun – and the work – begins! Each spring gives you an opportunity to keep these outdoor living spaces looking like new while getting them ready for summertime gatherings and relaxation. With regular maintenance, you can make your deck or porch a focal point of your home and add eye-catching curb appeal that can be a great incentive if you plan to sell. Here are some tips on how to care for important parts of these outdoor living areas.
- Decks and patios. Get out the deck cleaner, bristle brush, and a garden hose and give your outdoor space a good scrub and rinse. You can also use a pressure washer, but be sure to spray with the grain of the wood to prevent damage. Don’t forget the ceiling of a porch and the windows around your deck, porch, or patio too.
- Outdoor furniture. Do not use a pressure washer on patio furniture (this can damage wood and chip paint). Instead, brush or vacuum off loose debris, wash surfaces with soapy water, and rinse thoroughly. Consult care tags first, but most outdoor cushions can also be cleaned with soap and water. Avoid using bleach and harsh cleaners.
- Patio umbrella. Use the same method to clean a patio umbrella as you use for outdoor furniture. Scrub the fabric with mild soap and water to avoid weakening the water-resistant coating. Be sure to tighten stand screws.
- Grills. Use a wire brush, soapy water, and paper towels to keep your grill safe, clean, and running well. View a video of how to clean and maintain a gas grill. Place an outdoor mat under the grill to prevent grease stains on your deck.
- Water features. Regularly clean leaves and debris out of an outdoor fountain to keep the pump from becoming clogged. Use a 1:10 bleach water solution to kill algae in fountains and birdbaths. Scrub and rinse thoroughly.
If you still don’t have the porch or deck of your dreams – or if your current patio or deck needs a facelift – Callen is the Brookfield remodeling company that can help. From design through completion, our expert carpenters deliver the highest level of care and attention, no matter how big or small the project. Give us a call today at (414) 765-2585 to get your project completed in time for summer!