Long, brutally cold winters make green grass and warmer weather especially sweet for Wisconsinites. As temperatures head upward, it’s time to think about getting your lawn in shape for the upcoming summer. Follow these easy tips for a spring lawn spruce-up.
- Clean and inspect. Rake up dead leaves and debris that laid buried under the snow over the winter. A good clean up will not only help your grass grow, it will also prevent damage to your mower. Inspect trees for broken or damaged branches. Prune them or call a professional for assistance. Use an edger around planting beds and along sidewalks.
- Aerate. Aeration – done by pulling small plugs of thatch and soil out of the ground – helps grass roots grow deeper and produces a stronger, more vigorous lawn. This is best done in the spring. Aerating machines can be rented from home improvement stores and lawn and garden stores.
- Fertilize. Fertilizer gives your lawn, trees, and shrubs an extra boost of nutrients after cleaning and aerating. Slow- or controlled-release fertilizers are best to supply nutrients gradually. It’s also important to know that not all grasses should be fertilized in the spring; some cool-weather grasses are best fertilized later in the year. To find out when to fertilize your variety of grass, contact your local University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension.
- Mulch. A layer of fresh mulch in planting beds and around trees looks neat, helps soil to retain moisture, prevents compaction, and enhances the soil. Don’t let mulch touch the trunks of trees and shrubs, and never layer mulch more than three inches in depth.
- Check your gutter system. Proper drainage is essential to protect your landscaping and your home from water damage. Be sure your gutters and downspouts are in good repair and clear of clogs. If your yard has many trees, consider installing the Gutter Topper® gutter cover for long-term protection.
For assistance with gutters, gutter protection, or other exterior improvement projects, call Callen today at (414) 765-2585 for a FREE inspection and estimate. We’re the exterior remodeling company Milwaukee homeowners have trusted since 1986!