Although the calendar says it’s still fall, the recent influx of cold polar air has been a stark reminder that wintertime will soon be officially upon us. Cold drafts and a hard-working furnace may also have reminded you that you have not yet winterized your home, a crucial step to survive the Wisconsin chill. “Winterizing” refers to a variety of improvements and repairs that can offset the undesirable effects of cold weather so you can maintain indoor comfort and keep utility bills low. Follow these steps to get your home in order.
1) Schedule a professional furnace tune-up. A certified technician can perform a cleaning and inspection of the system to ensure safe and efficient operation all winter. Getting the job done now is much more convenient than waiting for a repairman in a cold home with no heat!
2) Clean the chimney. A clean, well-maintained chimney ensures you can safely enjoy cozy fires throughout the winter. A chimney sweep knows how to remove soot and creosote build-up, substances which can cause potential fires and damage to the chimney itself.
3) Caulk and weatherstrip. Stop air leaks by caulking around windows and doors. Ensure that doors and windows shut tightly; if not, install weatherstripping to keep out drafts.
4) Check the attic. Poorly insulated attics are a notorious source of heat loss within a home’s building envelope. Ideally, a properly insulated Wisconsin attic should have enough insulation to provide an R-value of 50 (or about 14 inches, depending on the material). The R-value indicates the insulation’s ability to resist heat transfer.
5) Clean gutters. Be sure gutters are clear of clogs that could allow rain and snowmelt to back up and freeze, causing damage to the roof and gutter system.
With the right winterizing improvements, it’s possible to avoid winter headaches and cut your heating costs nearly in half. For assistance with many exterior improvements, call Callen today at (414) 765-2585. Our certified representative will visit your home and do a thorough inspection of your roof, gutters or any other area of concern. Discover for yourself why we are considered the best roofing and remodeling company in Brookfield, Milwaukee and surrounding areas!